Wednesday, June 28, 2017 * 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Mountain View Hospital Auditorium * $40.00
This seminar will provide participants with an overview of trauma and the impact of traumatic stress on the body and the brain.
- Review the types of stress and their effect on the body and the brain
- Discuss how unresolved trauma manifests itself later in life
- Provide trauma focused education and skill building for clinicians
- Explore ways to improve clinical practice by employing trauma focused interventions and treatments
Terra Griffin, Ed.D., LPC-S, NCC, is currently the Inpatient Clinical Coordinator at Children’s of Alabama Inpatient Psychiatry. She serves as Adjunct Professor at UAB Department of Counselor Education. She holds a Doctor of Education in Counseling Psychology and has over 10 years experience in various therapeutic settings.
Opioids: The Prescription Drug and Heroin Overdose Epidemic
Thursday, July 20, 2017
9:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Mountain View Hospital Auditorium
Program Fee: $40.00
The current opioid epidemic is the worst drug crisis in American history, killing more than 33,000 people in 2015. This presentation will explore an overview of opioids and the body’s reaction to them. Other topics include the complexities of treating individuals with a co-occurring mental illness and opioid addiction. Effective strategies to combating this emerging crisis will also be reviewed.
- Understand the growing epidemic of opioid abuse
- Recognize the types of opioids and the effect on the brain and body
- Discuss challenges presented when treating individuals with a co-occurring mental illness
- Explore the most effective treatments available for opioid addiction
- Review ways to stop the heroin addiction
Chesbrough Roberts, LPC, ADC is currently in private practice at CLR Counseling Group in Birmingham. She is certified as a Alabama Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor (ADC) and provides trainings to bring awareness to the Heroin Epidemic. She acquired her Master’s of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling from Auburn University. She has given numerous presentations and has participated as Head Presenter at the Alabama School of Alcohol and Drug Studies.
HOW TO REGISTER:
CALL: 256-546-9265, EXT 2123
Continuing Education Credits:
Both of the above seminars are approved for the following CE Credit Hours
Counselors: 3 NBCC Clock Hours Social Workers: 3 Contact hours Nurses: 3.6 contact hours
Mountain View Hospital has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider ACEP No. 5539. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. MVH is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
Mountain View Hospital is approved by the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners, provider No. 0135.
Mountain View Hospital is approved as a provider of continuing education by the Alabama State Board of Nursing, Provider No. ABNP0247/exp: 10/22/17.